I have been compensated for my time by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC, the maker of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. All statements and opinions are my own. I have pledged to Blog With Integrity, asserting that the trust of my readers and the blogging community is vitally important to me.
If you (or a loved one) has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, please know that you are not alone. According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), “Approximately 30 million children and adults have diabetes in the United States. Out of that number, nearly 95% have type 2 diabetes.”
The ADA wants you to know this: “Having diabetes should not prevent you from enjoying a wide variety of foods. You can learn how to eat healthful meals and include your favorite foods so you can thrive with diabetes.” ADA emphasizes, “Eating healthful meals is an essential part of managing diabetes.”
Here at SPLENDA LIVING®, we cannot cover all of the recommended dietary modifications you’ll probably need to make if you’re diagnosed with diabetes. However, we can help a little with information about a very important dietary change: reducing your consumption of added sugars.
Which brings me to the toughest question that I have had to answer while talking with many family members (all on my father’s side) with Type 2 diabetes… “But what about my sweet tooth? I love my sweets.”
I assured them that while there may be some foods they’ll want to banish from their kitchens if they have no will power (i.e., Aunt Margie’s triple chocolate, gooey iced brownies), all is not lost! With products like SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener that can be used in place of regular sugar, many of their favorite foods can come back to life as less added-sugar alternatives.
SPLENDA® Recipe Categories and Featured Less Added-Sugar Recipes
That is why the SPLENDA® Brand is providing consumers with a variety of diabetes-friendly* recipes with less added sugar. For anyone looking for how to reduce sugar in their diet, there's a SPLENDA® Sweetener Product to use in each of these recipe categories.
Less Added-Sugar Drinks & Beverages (e.g., chilled or hot tea, cocoa, coffee, smoothies)
Featured Recipe: Banana Raspberry Smoothie
Non-dessert Baked Goods (e.g., sweet breads, muffins)
Featured Recipe: Nana Nut Bread
Desserts, Traditional (e.g., cakes, cookies, puddings, baked apples)
Featured Recipe: Cinna-Raisin Rice Pudding
Less Added-Sugar Desserts, Non-Traditional (e.g., meringue bites, poached pears, powdered “sugar” for garnishes)
Featured Recipe: Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
Less Added-Sugar Foods/Entrees/Side Dishes (e.g., meat marinades, casseroles, salads/dressings, fruit/vegetables)
Featured Recipe: Barbecued Chicken
Miscellaneous Sweetening (e.g., for oatmeal, other unsweetened cereals, tart fruits such as grapefruit)
Featured Recipe: Apple Pie Oatmeal
Here are four of the most popular SPLENDA® “diabetes friendly*” recipes you may want to try first.
Fluffy, whipped egg white icing tops a rich chocolate Bundt cake like snow on a mountain. This cake is elegant enough for any occasion.
Makes 16 servings
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons trans-free margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 10-cup non-stick Bundt pan or tube pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In another large bowl, whisk together egg, egg whites, buttermilk, and margarine. One at a time, add SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, applesauce, corn syrup, and vanilla, whisking well after each addition. Scatter dry ingredients over top and gently stir in with rubber spatula (batter will be wet). Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack and cool completely.
For the icing:
- In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer, briefly whisk together egg whites, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, water, vanilla, and salt.
- Set bowl over saucepan of gently simmering water and whisk gently until mixture reaches 140° F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove from saucepan and, using the mixer, whip heated icing on medium speed about 2 minutes, or until icing increases in volume and cools.
- Transfer cake to a platter and spread icing all over it, swirling icing in a decorative pattern.
The homemade dressing makes all the difference in this crunchy coleslaw salad that takes no time to put together.
Makes 10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag (8 cups) prepared shredded cabbage coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Blend mayonnaise, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, onion, lemon juice, vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add coleslaw mix and carrots. Stir well.
- Chill two hours. Stir again just before serving.
Heavenly Angel Food Cake
You’ll love this great version of angel food cake! It’s delicate and delicious -- without all the added sugar!
Makes 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and corn syrup.
- Sift flour and cornstarch 2 times into another large mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend to flour mixture, stirring until blended.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Fold gently. Repeat procedure three times with the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading batter evenly in pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles.
- Bake on lowest rack in oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert tube pan; cool cake in the pan for 30 to 40 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; remove cake from pan.
Use this sugar-free powdered sugar recipe for garnishing cakes and pastries.
Makes 48-½ teaspoon servings
- 3/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Place ingredients in blender jar. Cover and blend until SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated is a very fine powder. Use in place of powdered sugar for garnishing cakes and pastries.
If you decide to replace full sugar in your favorite recipes, here are two very helpful resources that you should utilize. This first one explains the differences in the SPLENDA® Sweetener Products that are available on the market today.
The second, and more important resource, provides guidelines on how to substitute the different SPLENDA® Sweeteners for full sugar.
Although I personally don’t have diabetes, I use SPLENDA® Sweetener Products regularly. Want to know how? Visit my previous blog “How I Use SPLENDA® Sweeteners” for some ideas you may want to incorporate into your lifestyle.
One last word of advice for now: Don’t let that sweet tooth rule your life! There are delicious options like SPLENDA® Sweeteners available to appease it with less sugar.
Sue Taylor is a consulting nutritionist with more than 35 years of experience. She is passionate about sharing her nutrition knowledge and fondness for good, healthy food. Sue will put relevant information in consumer terms and provide valuable perspective to clear up misinformation and confusion about nutrition and food safety.
*The SPLENDA® Brand defines "diabetes-friendly" as foods and beverages containing less than 35% of total calories from fat, less than 10% of total calories from saturated fat, and no more than 45 grams of carbohydrate per serving.