Looking for a stevia sweetener with no bitter aftertaste? Look no further! SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is made from the natural stevia plant using a stevia leaf extract blend. This unique sugar substitute is 100% natural with nothing artificial. Until now you may have only tasted sweeteners with a stevia extract called Reb A, which can have a bitter aftertaste. By using primarily Reb D, a better-tasting extract from the stevia leaf, SPLENDA® provides a perfect blend that tastes great.
SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener contains no added flavors or colors, and no GMO ingredients. It is made with just two ingredients, stevia leaf extract and erythritol. The stevia plant leaves are harvested, dried, and then steeped in water. The intense sweetening components, also known as steviol glycosides, are isolated, extracted, purified and dried.
It is important to note that the body does not absorb steviol glycosides, the gut microflora breaks down steviol glycosides to steviol, and steviol is readily absorbed and excreted in the urine as steviol glucuronide. There is also no accumulation of these glucuronides in the body.
Erythritol crystals are a main ingredient in SPLENDA® Naturals to provide needed volume and texture and make it easier to sweeten with stevia extract, which can be 200 times sweeter than sugar. The erythritol used in SPLENDA® Naturals is Non-GMO Project Verified and is produced by a fermentation process using non-GMO corn. Erythritol is also different from most sugar alcohols as most (about 90%) of a consumed dose is rapidly absorbed, not metabolized, and excreted in the urine without consequence. Therefore it is unavailable to gut microflora and there is no or little fermentation by gut microflora. That means there is little chance of the gastrointestinal effects that can occur with large intakes of other sugar alcohols.
Take a look at this short video to learn more about SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, which contains nothing artificial and is 100% natural. I am fascinated with this new stevia sweetener product, for all the right reasons!
SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is also available in a convenient tabletop jar – great for sprinkling into beverages, cereal and much more.
SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is Perfect for Substituting Added Sugars in Recipes
Ever since I tasted SPLENDA® Naturals, I have been able to modify several recipes while adding flavor and reducing calorie intake. To get you started, let me give you a few recipes to try so you can be successful at using this amazing and better alternative sweetener.
This Santa Fe Veggie Chili Recipe is one I’ve been enjoying lately:
Servings Per Recipe: 16 (1 cup serving size)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/3 cups chopped red and yellow bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 12 packets SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with thick tomato puree
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 (19 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- In a large, non-stick, stock pot heat olive oil. Sauté jalapeno pepper, onion, and red and yellow peppers over medium heat until onions are translucent (5-8 minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients and slowly bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- Chili tastes best when allowed to sit overnight. Refrigerate chili in covered pot overnight. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
Note: If hot chili is preferred, increase the ground cayenne red pepper to 1 teaspoon, and increase the chili powder to 7 teaspoons. If sweeter chili is preferred, increase SPLENDA® Naturals Sweetener to taste.
And my beverage of choice is this refreshing Sparkling Peach Lemonade Recipe:
Servings Per Recipe: 10 (1 cup serving size)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 15 lemons)
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend
- 1 cup water
- 3 peaches, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 10 cups seltzer water
- Heat juice, SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend, water, and peaches in a medium-sized saucepan. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, turn off heat, and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Drain juice into a container and set aside. Reserve peaches.
- Muddle 5-6 mint leaves and one slice of peach in the bottom of a glass. Fill the glass with ice. Add 3 peach slices and ¼ cup lemonade.
- Top each glass with ¾ cup seltzer. Add ice if desired.
You can find more delicious recipes made with SPLENDA® Naturals here.
I have been compensated for my time by Heartland Food Products Group, the maker of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. All statements and opinions are my own. I have pledged to Blog with Integrity, asserting that the trust of my readers and the blogging community is vitally important to me.
For more information about cooking and baking with SPLENDA Sweeteners®, visit the Cooking & Baking section of this blog.
Sylvia Meléndez Klinger, MS, RD, LDN, CPT is founder of Hispanic Food Communications, Inc., a nutrition and food communications consulting company. A Hispanic native who is a leading expert in cross-cultural Hispanic cuisine as it relates to nutrition and health, Sylvia uses her in-depth culinary and cultural expertise to introduce new strategies for wellness to an increasingly health-conscious Hispanic population. For more than a decade, Sylvia has been a consultant for major food, beverage and pharmaceutical companies and non-profit organizations.