There is an extensive body of scientific research confirming the safety of SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, and specifically the safety of sucralose, which is the sweetening ingredient in the original SPLENDA® Sweeteners.
Despite this rock-solid safety record, the internet is full of misinformation that has led to myths about SPLENDA® and low-calorie sweeteners in general. The misinformation is often based on research that uses unconventional or poorly designed methods, or draws conclusions which do not correspond with the totality of research that has been conducted.
Sometimes a new study that supposedly challenges decades of scientific research makes headlines. And when positioned as a single “new study” you may be left wondering if it is credible. To clear up any confusion you may have about the well-documented safety of SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener sucralose, here are the facts:
- Supported by more than 100 studies over 20 years, there’s no question that SPLENDA® Sucralose is safe.
- Leading health organizations, including the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, support the use of low-calorie sweeteners such as sucralose as a useful tool in weight management and diabetes.
- The Food and Drug Administration, World Health Organization, and regulatory, health, and food safety authorities around the world have concluded that sucralose is safe.
- Sucralose has been used safely by millions of people throughout the world, and has been available for use in foods and beverages for more than 25 years.
- Sucralose is approved for use in over 80 countries and is currently used in more than 4,000 products worldwide.
Comprehensive Scientific Review Confirms the Safety of Sucralose
A recent all-inclusive review of the safety of sucralose, “Critical review of the current literature on the safety of sucralose,” was published in Food and Chemical Toxicology, an internationally renowned journal. This comprehensive scientific review of sucralose covered 133 peer-reviewed studies that were referenced, including 24 human studies on sucralose, as well as 46 government and regulatory reports.
The researchers stated: “In conclusion, the extensive database of studies assessing genetic toxicology, short and long term safety, animal and human absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion, reproductive, development, and neurological effects and, most recently human clinical trials in healthy and diabetic subjects by numerous researchers provide a clear demonstration of safety of use of sucralose as a non-caloric sweetener in foods and beverages.”
For health and scientific professionals, more details about this scientific review are summarized here.
When it comes to the safety of the original SPLENDA® Sweeteners, you can be confident that food safety and health experts have thoroughly reviewed the research – and the clear consensus is that sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in these sweeteners, is safe.
Learn more about these expert evaluations here.