It’s always a good day in my book when a light, wholesome summer meal is comprised simply of a chilled soup and salad. Light and appetizing. Filling but not heavy. Tasty and satisfying.
So you say you have never tried a chilled soup? Well, I think it’s about time you do! (We still have some time before the cooler weather calls for hot soup!) To get you started, here are three delicious chilled soup recipes, all of which are made with SPLENDA® Sweetener Products: Chilled Cherry Soup, Chilled Shrimp and Jicama Soup with Basil, and Cool Raspberry Soup.
The three summer salad recipes I have chosen to share are rich in flavor, with each being yummy in its own right. It is hard not to love the Ginger Noodle Salad, California Broccoli Salad and the Simply Bean Salad. These salad recipes also use SPLENDA® Sweetener Products in place of full sugar.
I hope you enjoy!
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup fat-free yogurt
- 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 cup fresh cherries (with pits removed) 1 tablespoon orange strips
- Process first 7 ingredients in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Serve with remaining cherries and orange strips as a garnish.
Chilled Shrimp and Jicama Soup Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound jicama, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch by 1 inch strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, roasted, peeled and cut into 1/4 by 1 inch strips
- Puree the cucumbers with the balsamic vinegar in a food processor for about one minute or until smooth. Pour cucumber puree into a large bowl. Add SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and salt. Stir well. Add jicama and stir.
- Place the shrimp in a medium bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cayenne pepper. In a large skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil until lightly smoking.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink, about 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Spoon the sour cream into a large bowl. Add the milk slowly while blending with a wire whisk. Add the cucumber and jicama mixture, shrimp, basil, and the roasted peppers and combine.
- Chill thoroughly and serve.
Cool Raspberry Soup Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- 1 1/4 cups water 1 (20 ounce) package frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup cranberry-raspberry juice
- 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat raspberry yogurt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Pour 1 1/4 cups water into a blender or food processor. Add raspberries and wine and process for 2 minutes, or until smooth, scraping down sides once.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and add cranberry-raspberry juice, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, cinnamon, and cloves. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then immediately remove from heat.
- Pour mixture through a medium-mesh strainer into a medium bowl. Discard solids.
- Whisk lemon juice and yogurt into soup, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls and top each with a generous tablespoon of sour cream.
- 4 ounces dry spaghetti or capellini
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 5 packets SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese chile paste (add more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- Cook pasta following package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place ginger, SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, ketchup, soy sauce, chile paste, and water in a medium saucepan. Simmer on medium-low heat 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add lime juice and sesame oil. Mix well. Add noodles and stir well.
- Chill 15-20 minutes for a cold salad; can also serve immediately as a warm salad.
- To serve: Place noodles on top of greens. Garnish, if desired.
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups light mayonnaise
- 12 slices extra lean turkey bacon
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- In a salad bowl, toss together broccoli, raisins and red onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, vinegar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Dice and set aside.
- Sprinkle broccoli salad with sunflower seeds and crumbled bacon, toss, and serve immediately.
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- To make the dressing, whisk the SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, vinegar and oil together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing and stir until ingredients are coated.
- Refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours or overnight before serving.
For more ideas about recipes with SPLENDA® Sweetener Products and to share your own summer soup and salad recipes, please visit SweetSwaps.com.
I have been compensated for my time by Heartland Food Products Group, the maker of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. All statements and opinions are my own. I have pledged to Blog with Integrity, asserting that the trust of my readers and the blogging community is vitally important to me.
Sue Taylor is a consulting nutritionist with more than 35 years of experience. She is passionate about sharing her nutrition knowledge and fondness for good, healthy food. Sue will put relevant information in consumer terms and provide valuable perspective to clear up misinformation and confusion about nutrition and food safety.