Are you one of the millions of Americans who likes to snack? Me too!
In fact, research confirms that we are a nation of snackers! According to a recent report, “91% of consumers snack multiple times throughout the day. Snacking now accounts for half (50%) of all eating occasions as America’s consumers say that snacking is essential to daily nutrition.”
With football season providing many opportunities to serve tantalizing tailgating food, why not make your next tailgate event – either at the game or in your living room – all about snacks instead of a heavy spread?
As we like to do at SPLENDA LIVING®, here are some delicious recipes made with less added sugar using a variety of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. These recipes range from salsa, dips and nut mixes to succulent chicken wings. Try one or two, or a little taste of everything… just be mindful of your portion sizes.
Let the tailgating food snacking begin!
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 large oranges, peeled and diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 packets SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring small saucepan of water to a boil. Blanch tomatoes for 30 seconds, and then rinse with cold water. Peel and chop tomatoes.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until mixed thoroughly. Allow to stand at room temperature for one hour. Mix and serve with reduced fat chips, veggies or fruit slices.
- Refrigerate any unused salsa.
Servings Per Recipe: 13
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ½ cup lowfat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving with veggies or reduced fat chips.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- Spray a non-stick sauté pan with olive oil spray. Sauté red peppers for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In food processor, combine all ingredients including red peppers. Puree for 1 minute, scrape the sides, and continue to puree until smooth. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve with your favorite “dippers.”
More Delicious Tailgating Food Recipes
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal squares
- 2 cups toasted O-shaped cereal
- 2 cups small pretzels
- 1 cup oyster crackers
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 egg white
- 12 packets SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat egg white until foamy. Stir in SPLENDA® Sweetener, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper. Pour over cereal mixture, tossing to coat.
- Spray a 15 x 10 inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray. Spread cereal mixture in a single layer in the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool.
Servings Per Recipe: 32 (serving size: 2 shrimp, 1 tbsp. sauce)
- 2 pounds cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup no-sugar added raspberry preserves
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Place cocktail sauce ingredients in a food processor or a blender. Process or blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Chill cocktail sauce at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with shrimp. Cocktail sauce will keep, refrigerated, for five days.
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar and Stevia Sweetener Blend
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings, cut into three pieces, discard tips
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter with garlic and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except chicken); and bring to a simmer, then cool.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the chicken wings and sauce, and stir to coat.
- Spray a baking sheet with vegetable spray. Place chicken wings on baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until juices run clear. Serve hot.
I have been compensated for my time by Heartland Food Products Group, the maker of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. All statements and opinions are my own. I have pledged to Blog with Integrity, asserting that the trust of my readers and the blogging community is vitally important to me.
Sue Taylor is a consulting nutritionist with more than 35 years of experience. She is passionate about sharing her nutrition knowledge and fondness for good, healthy food. Sue will put relevant information in consumer terms and provide valuable perspective to clear up misinformation and confusion about nutrition and food safety.