The time is right, the time is now. Yes, it’s time to make room in your fridge for large pitchers of refreshing, chilled summer drinks and to assure you have plenty of ice in the freezer. It’s summertime and the weather forecast says it’s going to be hot (of course!), so it is important for your health to keep cool and hydrated.
What better way to ‘chill’ than with a tall frosty glass of a cold beverage? Here are some thirst-quenching, non-alcoholic drink recipes that will help you beat the heat, but each is made with less sugar than is typically used in many cold beverages.
Personally, l love well-chilled lemonade and iced tea. If those are your favorites too, we would not be alone. Lemonade and iced tea were ‘tops’ in a survey of 500 consumers. You can find out more about this survey here.
So without further ado, here are some refreshing lemonade and iced tea recipes you will love – and they are all made with a SPLENDA® Sweetener.
Summer Drink Recipes with Less Added Sugar
Lemonade by the Pitcher
This one is a keeper on your delicious drink recipes list! Takes only 5 minutes to prepare, serves 8, with only 5 calories per serving.
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 24 packets of SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- Ice cubes for serving
- Fresh mint sprigs and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- Stir water, lemon juice, and SPLENDA® Sweetener in a large pitcher.
- Serve over ice, garnished with the mint and lemon, if desired.
Thirst-Quencher's Lemonade Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 1; Calories Per Serving: 5
- 2 slices lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 mint leaves
- 3 packets SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 1/2 cup chilled soda water or water
- 3/4 cup ice
- Mash lemon slices, juice, mint leaves, and SPLENDA® Sweetener with a spoon in a tall glass until lemon and mint leaves are bruised.
- Stir in soda water. Add ice.
Lemonade Tea Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 1; Calories Per Serving: 15
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 packets SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened iced tea
- STIR together all ingredients in a large glass.
- Add ice if desired.
Sweet Boston Iced Tea Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 16; Calories Per Serving: 60
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 15 tea bags
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen cranberry juice concentrate
- Put water in a large pot, and heat on high until boiling. Stir in SPLENDA® Sweetener until dissolved.
- Add tea bags, and steep until desired strength is acquired. Stir in cranberry juice concentrate and chill.
Last but not least, I wanted to share an easy-to-prepare recipe for a simple syrup that you can easily use in all drink recipes, including cocktails.
Simple Syrup Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 34; Calories Per Serving: 25
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients in a medium-sized saucepot.
- Bring to a simmer then refrigerate for an hour to thicken. Refrigerate unused portions in sealed container for up to 1 month.
I have been compensated for my time by Heartland Food Products Group, the maker of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. All statements and opinions are my own. I have pledged to Blog with Integrity, asserting that the trust of my readers and the blogging community is vitally important to me.
Sue Taylor is a consulting nutritionist with more than 35 years of experience. She is passionate about sharing her nutrition knowledge and fondness for good, healthy food. Sue will put relevant information in consumer terms and provide valuable perspective to clear up misinformation and confusion about nutrition and food safety.